Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pop-Culture Journal #2, Book or Movie?


Journal: 2
Which is Better, Book or Movie?

In the article, ‘In Defense Of... Adapting Books, Such as 'The Hunger Games', to Film’ by Colin McGuire, he talks a lot about why certain people like books better than movies and vise versa.  People argue that if you choose not to read the book you’re missing out.  They say you’re not getting the full story.  Or some might just consider you to be lazy. 
Personally I feel that it all depends on the order you choose to do them.  If you’re planning on reading a book that has a movie to go along with it, you should read the book before the movie.  This allows your imagination to do the work of developing the characters and the plot as you read the book.  I can see how the majority of fans like the books better of big franchises, such as: Twilight, Load of The Rings, and The Hunger Games, simply because of the extravagant detail the talented authors put into their work. The way the authors make you interpret every scene can’t help but draw you in more and more.  In a movie there is no way of recognizing every detail explained in pictures unlike in words.
My suggestion is to plan ahead, if you know you’re going to be reading the book, read then watch the movie! This will allow you to compare your imagination to the movie directors instead of having the images given to you before you even pick up the book.


2 comments:

  1. I agree with your blog because I've seen many movies that either did the book justice or completely destroyed it. So as you said you should probably do your research and do what makes you feel the better outcome will be. Also I haven't seen hunger games yet, or read the book so ill have to make a little decision making of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read the book.. see the movie... compare! One of my favorite things to do. I agree that the book lets you use your imagination to develop the characters and bring the scene to life in your mind. Edward Cullen sparkled so much more in the sun in my mind then he did in the movie. I haven't seen too many movies, that in my opinion beat the book version. This is not to say I didn't enjoy, for instance, the Harry Potter movies or The Twlight Saga but the books were SO MUCH BETTER.

    ReplyDelete